Monday, August 3, 2009

First day of Pre-School

Today was the day that every mother remembers vividly. Every mother can relate to the mixed emotions that I had today when we took Libby to her first day of pre-school. Libby was excited about her new venture, but was a little scared. As you know, Mema (Gary's grandmother) has kept Libby for us since she was 6 weeks old. For almost 3 years, she had free reign on her daily activities and the thought of structured school was enough to make any mother scared. Check her out...so excited! A little tired....but so excited to go. Gary and I both took her to school today. On the ride there, we had a conversation about what the day would be like, all of the new friends she'd meet and how this was the beginning of an exciting new adventure for her.
Libby: "I wonder what we'll have for lunch"
Mommy: "I'm not sure, but you'll have breakfast, lunch and two snacks there"
Libby: "Mema always has pickles...I lover her pickles"
Mommy: "Yeah, Mema makes good pickles"
At the school, Gary, Libby and I were sitting on tiny chairs with the director of the school, going over final paperwork and sharing her possible egg allergy. Just then, Libby crossed her legs, leaned back in her chair and interrupted Ms. Dena with a serious question:
Libby: "Do you all have pickles here??"
That story just goes to show that she'll adjust just fine to her new journey. Even if they don't have pickles.We have called Libby "Monka" since she was a baby...our made-up word indicating that she was a monkey. Only fitting that she had a monkey backpack.Here is the scanned picture of her artwork for the day. Not great, I admit, but she really said she had a good day, made some friends (she told me that she couldn't remember one of her friend's name but calls her Ally) and is ready for tomorrow!

3 comments:

Drew&Samsmom said...

that made me cry a little bit! i bet mema is missing libby too!

THE SENG HOUSE said...

I love that she was worried about her pickles. That's funny. Glad she had a good day and that her Mommy made it through ok.

ShenaGayle said...

awwww... she's getting so big! I feel like I need to see her more often before I miss something! Giver her a big hug for me on day 2!